A range of embroidery classes for all levels and techniques
« Day Classes
Please note that by booking on this page you are booking the EVENING schedule. To book the DAY schedule please click here.
This is a series of regular online classes, available in two different pathways (12 Day or 24 Evenings) taken from home, over the course of a year. Full dates and times can be found below. Please click here to view important joining information about online classes.
The Royal School of Needlework goes ‘back to basics’ with the Sampler Course.
The most basic and traditional form of learning embroidery is the sampler. Historically, young girls were taught various stitches which were then practiced diligently until perfected. Design was less important at this stage than technique, and the most popular presentation format was either in bands (rows) or blocks (a grid).
Over the course of a year, students will focus on their ability to perfect their stitching of traditional decorative surface stitches. 75% of the Sampler (and the tuition) will be based around specific stitches, and the remaining 25% will be personalised to incorporate some of these stitches into a unique central motif designed by each student.
This course is aimed at the complete beginner, although more experienced stitchers are of course always welcome. All instruction will be live online with Kelley Aldridge, an experienced RSN Tutor and artist in her own right. Detailed stitch demonstrations will be recorded and available as downloads after each class and students will be able to access the full collection for one year after the end of the course. New for this year is the addition of a series of embroidery-themed illustrated talks by Kelley which will take place periodically throughout the course.
The theme for 2021/2022 will be Freestyle Surface Work — also known as Crewelwork (when worked in wool), Surface Stitching, Domestic Embroidery, and Basic Embroidery. The stitches all share the feature that they are NOT counted, and can be worked in any type of thread on the surface of any type of closely-woven fabric.
Tuition includes either 12 days or 24 evenings of tuition. Day sessions will run monthly on Saturdays from 10am – 4pm UK local time, whilst evening sessions will run fortnightly on Thursdays from 7pm – 9.30pm UK local time. Students are required to stay with one format, either full days or evenings.
A kit containing all required materials is included in the price including a choice of thread colourway, however students will need to supply their own square frame and embroidery scissors.
Upon registration, an information pack will be sent to the student with details of how to prepare for the first session.
At the conclusion of the course, the RSN will proudly mount a public online exhibition of all the samplers worked in both day and evening sessions, so we can all celebrate the latest additions to this historic tradition. We look forward to seeing you in September!
Course Dates for 2021-2022 (Evening Schedule)
The evening schedule for this course runs for 24 evenings, starting on Thursday 9 September 2021. Evening sessions run from 7pm - 9:30pm UK local time. Students are required to stay with one pathway, either full days or evenings, for the duration of the course. The full schedule is:
Your Zoom link will be sent a minimum of 48 hours prior to the class and will be sent to the email address you booked the class with. If you do not receive it, check your junk mail to see if it is there and if you still do not have it then please email [email protected]
Attendees outside the UK
This class will run from 10am to 4pm UK local time on each day. If you are outside of the UK please check your local time, particularly if your location changes to/from Daylight Savings Time on a different schedule to the UK during October/November and March/April. To check and convert times please visit TimeAndDate.com. We cannot be held responsible for incorrect time attendance. Thank you.
The evening schedule for this course runs for 24 evenings, starting on Thursday 9 September 2021. Evening sessions run from 7pm – 9:30pm UK local time. Students are required to stay with one pathway, either full days or evenings, for the duration of the course. The full schedule is:
Out of stock