Scabiosa Button by Jenny-Adin Christie
Inspired by the design of cut glass buttons and the delicate scabiosa flower, this is one of three smaller kits included in my book: Fine Whitework and Techniques and Inspiration which was released in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Royal School of Needlework in 2022.
The design leads you through a broad range of techniques which are fundamental to the art of fine whitework. These allow you to understand the depth which can be created using white threads on a white ground fabric by contrasting padded areas with delicate textures and open voids.
Techniques include layering of fabrics, shadow work, sculptured satin stitch, eyelets, beading and cutwork.
The design is an excellent way to learn and perfect these skills before embarking on a more complex design.
The completed design is mounted over a pre-cut circle of conservation grade card and can be displayed in a box frame.
Your kit includes fabric with pre-printed design, together with all the other fabrics, threads and beads required to complete the design, plus the materials required to make up the completed button.
Completed design measures: 8.5 x 8.5cm
- 100% silk organza, pre-printed with design
- Cotton lace thread
- Glass pearls
- Pre-cut circle of conservation card
- Nylon beading thread
- Cotton padding fabric
- Natural coloured backing linen
- Pot of conservation adhesive
- All needles required in wool flannel needle book.
EXTRA REQUIREMENTS FOR SCABIOSA BUTTON
To complete this kit, you will require the following equipment which can be purchased online
PLEASE NOTE that those items marked * are ESSENTIAL, whereas the other items are beneficial but NOT essential:
- *8” bound embroidery hoop
- *A suitable stand to support your 6″ hoop, allowing both hands to be free for working (floor stand/seat stand/table clamp)
- *A stiletto for making eyelet holes
- Curved-tip scissors
- * Tiny pins
- * A fine beading awl for making tiny holes in ladder stitch
- *A pair of ball-tipped lace scissors
- An aficot for laying threads smoothly
- Thimble if you like to use one
- A dark cloth to place over your knees to aid seeing the grain of the linen
- A white cloth to place over your knees to aid seeing design lines
- A brush suitable for applying glue
Please note that this kit does not include instructions. The full instructions are provided in Jenny’s best selling book: ‘Fine Whitework and Techniques and Inspiration’
This kit may be purchased with the book or if you already have the book, the kit may be purchased separately.
Please select from option below.